General Franks judgment historically bad – supports InhofeJune 30th, 2008
This is bad news for not only Oklahoma Army General Tommy Franks, but also American and Iraqi soldiers and citizens.
US Army’s Own Report Faults Poor Planning, Lack of Vision In Iraq
The unclassified report written by military historians Donald Wright and Colonel Timothy Reese says too much emphasis was placed on a military triumph, and not enough on detailed planning for the post-war period. It says part of the reason was optimism by the White House and Defense Department on what would happen when Saddam was defeated.
The report also criticizes the invasion’s top commander, General Tommy Franks, for his decision to overhaul the Baghdad-based military command, creating a short-staffed headquarters led by an inexperienced general.
Speaking of poor vision:
Tommy Franks To Campaign For Inhofe
And why wouldn’t he? Inhofe has long supported Gen. Franks:
July 10, 2003
KEENAN: But let’s follow up on that, Senator Inhofe. I mean the morale situation in Iraq, among our troops, isn’t good. Tommy Franks today saying that the troops will be there indefinitely, although he doesn’t see a need for more troops. Are you happy with the situation there?
INHOFE: Well, first of all, I don’t think he said they’re going to be there indefinitely. He said they’re going to be there for a long period of time…
KEENAN: Foreseeable future. Foreseeable future, right.
INHOFE: … and then he’s going to have others come in and take up some of that responsibility, and I believe that’s going to happen.
Other insight from Sen. Inhofe:
– the best way we can support our troops is to keep them out of Kosovo, out of a protracted war that, in my opinion, we are not going to end up winning.
– We have all these senators and members of the House who say the president hasn’t made his case yet.
– I’d like to have the American people solidly behind the president. But again, if the president has to do it, he has to do it.
– I’ve never heard so many untrue things said with a such a straight face as this president has said.
– You can always find in Scriptures a passage to misquote for almost anything, … something very strange.
And Gen. Franks:
– Where we stand today is not only acceptable in my view, it is truly remarkable
– What a difference 10 months makes in a country like Afghanistan
– America decided we were going to stand by and let Americans die at the hands of terrorists a long time ago.
-They’re doing great. That doesn’t mean they like being in Iraq on back-to-back tours, though.
– Probably we’ll think of Bush in years to come as an American hero.
– Probably we’ll think of Sen. Inhofe in years to come as an American environmentalist.
Got ya on that last one, huh?